This Wellness Assessment will allow you to find out your level of wellness by rating each of the dimensions of wellness. As promised in my last article ‘What is Wellness’ today we are going to look at your wellness and how healthy are you? Today I’m providing you with a Wellness Assessment that will allow you to find out your level of wellness by rating yourself for each of the dimensions of wellness.
A question that I am asked frequently is ‘can I achieve wellness if I have a chronic medical condition?’ Wellness is not dependent on being free of all medical conditions. Illness can impact us profoundly, we spend a good deal of time on trying to find our path back to ‘normality.’ Wellness itself is about embracing life and making the best of it as we can. Wellness is about learning the difference between what you can change and what you cannot and focusing your energies wisely.
You are so much more than the story of your medical condition. Whatever you are experiencing now in your life, even if a cure is not possible, healing is always within your reach. Wellness is an integration of mind, body and spirit so that one has a sense of balance and harmony in life. Developing a wellness lifestyle will allow you to revitalize and re-energize yourself so that you can continue to thrive in the face of the ongoing external demands of life, preparing you to cope with the changes that you are facing up to.
It is essential to be aware of how balanced your lifestyle is, and how close you are to following the path to wellness. This Wellness Assessment is easy to do, will take between 10 and 15 minutes to complete. It considers all aspects of your health and completing it will allow you to take control over your lifestyle and enable you to start making simple changes to improve your health.
Use this Self Scoring system:
I almost always do this = 2 points
Sometimes/occasionally = 1 point
I very seldom do this = 0 points
OVERALL WELLNESS ASSESSMENT
1. ___ I believe that my current lifestyle positively affects my health.
2. ___ I am currently doing everything I can in order to prevent disease and maintain/enhance my health.
SOCIAL WELLNESS ASSESSMENT
1. ___ I have a network of friends and/or family.
2. ___ When I meet people, I feel good about the impression I make on them.
3. ___ I am open, honest, and get along well with other people.
4. ___ I balance my own needs with the needs of others.
5. ___ I am open and accessible to a loving and responsible relationship.
6. ___ I have a sense of belonging within my community.
7. ___ I feel comfortable meeting new people.
8. ___ I participate in a wide variety of social activities and enjoy being with people who are different than me.
9. ___ I communicate with and get along with a wide variety of people.
10. ___ I am interested in others, including those with backgrounds that are different from my own.
EMOTIONAL WELLNESS ASSESSMENT
1. ___ I accept responsibility for my actions.
2. ___ I see challenges and change as opportunities for growth.
3. ___ I believe that I have considerable control over my life.
4. ___ I am able to laugh at life and myself.
5. ___ I feel good about myself.
6. ___ I am able to appropriately cope with stress and tension.
7. ___ I make time for leisure pursuits.
8. ___ I am able to recognize my personal shortcomings and learn from my mistakes.
9. ___ I am able to recognize and express my feelings.
10. ___ I enjoy each day.
SPIRITUAL WELLNESS ASSESSMENT
1. ___ I can name my own personal values and describe my beliefs about life.
2. ___ I make conscious choices about my daily actions based on my personal values.
3. ___ When I get depressed or frustrated, I draw on my beliefs and values to give me direction.
4. ___ I use prayer, meditation, and/or quiet personal reflection regularly in my life.
5. ___ Life is meaningful for me, and I feel a purpose in life.
6. ___ I believe life is a precious gift that should be nurtured.
7. ___ I have a strong sense of optimism and faith in the future.
8. ___ I engage in acts of caring and good will without expecting something in return.
9. ___ I take time to enjoy nature and the beauty around me.
10. ___ I feel gratitude for the good things in my life.
ENVIRONMENTAL WELLNESS ASSESSMENT
1. ___ I regularly clean my living and work environment.
2. ___ I make maximal use of natural light, fresh air, and live plants.
3. ___ I discard garbage regularly, clean spoiled foods out of the refrigerator, and stay on top of any pet odours.
4. ___ I tidy my home and work spaces in order to prevent clutter and stay organized.
5. ___ I conserve energy (fuel, electricity, water, etc.) in my home, my car, and elsewhere.
6. ___ I recycle (glass, paper, plastic, etc.).
7. ___ I do not litter.
8. ___ I purchase recycled items when possible.
9. ___ I set aside time to enjoy nature.
10. ___ I set aside time to reflect and/or practice mindfulness.
OCCUPATIONAL WELLNESS ASSESSMENT
1. ___ I am happy with my career choice.
2. ___ I am productive on most days at work.
3. ___ I look forward to work.
4. ___ My job responsibilities/duties are consistent with my values.
5. ___ The payoffs and advantages in my choice of career/field are consistent with my values.
6. ___ I am happy with the balance between my work time and my leisure time.
7. ___ I am happy with the amount of control I have in my work.
8. ___ My work gives me personal satisfaction and stimulation.
9. ___ I am happy with the professional and personal growth that is provided by my job.
10. ___ My job allows me to make good use of my talents.
INTELLECTUAL WELLNESS ASSESSMENT
1. ___ I make an effort to learn new things.
2. ___ I try to keep on top of current affairs—locally, nationally, and internationally.
3. ___ I listen to lectures, plays, and musical performances—in person or online.
4. ___ I do creative and stimulating mental activities/games.
5. ___ I read daily, whether that be the newspaper, the internet, magazines, or books from my local bookstore or library.
6. ___ I practice something every week to improve my skills and use my gifts, such as crafts, cooking, music, or sports.
7. ___ I try to see more than one side of an issue, especially for things that are controversial.
8. ___ I engage in intellectual discussions.
9. ___ I look up things that I don’t know.
10. ___ I ask questions to learn from others.
PHYSICAL WELLNESS ASSESSMENT
1. ___ I exercise aerobically (vigorous, continuous exercise) for 20 to 30 minutes at least three times per week.
2. ___ I eat fresh fruits, vegetables, and whole grains every day.
3. ___ I do exercises designed to strengthen my muscles and joints.
4. ___ I have lots of energy and can get through the day without being overly tired.
5. ___ I avoid drinking caffeinated and sugary beverages.
6. ___ I get 7-8 hours of sleep each night.
7. ___ I keep up with my annual physical, dental checkups, immunizations, and self-exams.
8. ___ I maintain a desirable weight.
9. ___ I brush my teeth at least twice daily, and floss at least once daily.
10. ___ I use stress management techniques that help me to stay calm and relaxed.
The maximum you can score is 144 in this wellness assessment, and the minimum is 0.
If you score:
144 – 121 Outstanding! Your wellness score is excellent.
120 – 97 Good news, your wellness score is above average.
96 – 73 your wellness score is average.
82 – 59 your wellness score is below average.
Less than 58 your wellness score is very low.
Improving your wellness score can and will help you achieve, maintain, and improve your independence, health, and quality of life. It shows you where you currently are and the areas you need to make improvements in.
After completing your wellness assessment decide which area(s), if any, you think you should work on improving.
Your life deserves you making the effort. Any questions feel free to ask them.
Score Your Way To Good Health - With Our Healthy Lifestyle Plan
Score your way to good health with our healthy lifestyle plan and it's unique 70 point weekly scorecard!
Larry, This was a very helpful and informative article. You can see how improving these areas of life can make for a healthier happier lifestyle. Also, if someone was not happy with an area of their life, it shows them what to do in the assessment to improve it! I think this would be a useful tool for an addict in recovery. A lot of people in recovery struggle with the guidance, structure, and knowledge that this assessment offers. Great post! I need to work on my score !
William all to often our life is out of balance, unfortunately we don’t give ourselves time to reflect so we don’t realise. The consequences are that we live life stressed, generally unhappy frequently finding our inner chatter bringing us down. By taking time, on a regular basis, to assess our life, we can then ensure we work towards establishing balance and see everything improving. The wellness assessment makes one aware of all the areas that are important.
Good test. I scored a bit lower than I wish I had (86). But it gives me something to work on. These last few months have been difficult, which makes me score lower than I wish. But I know things I can look to work on now!
Sorry to hear you’ve had a tough few months, but well done in taking action to bring about improvement.
I scored an average score! Well it looks like there is room for improvement. Really love interactive pieces like this. I will send this to all of my friends. It is so important to live a healthy happy life. Thanks for the smooth read